Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I so don't want to be old and alone


So my Great Aunt was widowed a few months ago - and since, my Boyfriend and I have taken on the role of pseudo care taker.  We are helping to make sure that she gets to the grocery store, her lawn is taken care of and the garbage is brought to the curb - that sort of thing.

Last night she called my boyfriend with an emergency.  She turned the tap on in the kitchen and left it running - then she either fell asleep/read a book or something - she doesn't remember.  She went to get a glass of water and found the sink over flowing all over the kitchen.  It had been running so long that the basement had water in it.  Jordan first made sure that the tap was now turned off and she was safe.  It was, and she was.

I got home from work about 5 minutes later - we had a very quick bite to eat and hightailed it to my aunts.

There were sopping wet towels all over the kitchen floor and main basement floor....and a plunger in the sink.

We got her calm and sitting down (though she kept getting up to 'help') - and got to work.  Jordan fought with the sink and I cleaned and cleaned.  We got everything mopped up and I wound up having a few (4) bags of garbage to throw out and we filled her recycle bin with newspapers from the '80s (there's still more, the bin was already pretty full).

We couldn't get the sink unplugged but managed to get enough water out of it so it wasn't a risk for over flow again.

My aunts going to call a plumber today.  We've asked her to ask the plumber to check out a few other things for her while he's there.  The bathroom sink drips constantly (probably just needs a new washer) and the water pressure is pretty horrible.

I just can't imagine being in my 80's, alone, and scared like that.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Oh Jessie! Thank you both so much for being so awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is quite scary! I also don't want to be alone like that... but she wasn't alone, she had you and Jordan to help her!

Post a Comment

 

Jessie's Thoughts and Passions Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template